This recipe serves 2.
1 large aubergine
180g dry red lentils
½ a vegetable stock cube
1 red onion
2 garlic cloves
1 red / yellow pepper
1 tsp coconut or olive oil
Salt and pepper
20 black pitted olives
4 tbsp sundried tomato paste
Fresh basil to garnish
Bag of mixed salad leaves
1. Preheat the oven to 220C.
2. Cut the aubergine in half lengthways and scoop out the flesh, leaving a shell approximately ½ cm thick. Set the flesh aside for later. Place the hollowed out aubergine halves face down in a roasting tin and fill the aubergine with water to 1cm deep. Bake in oven for about 15 mins until it softens.
3. Rinse the lentils and place in a saucepan with ½ a vegetable stock cube and 500ml water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 mins or until softened and beginning to break down. Remove from the heat and drain any excess liquid.
4. Finely chop the onion and garlic and dice the pepper and scooped out aubergine flesh. Heat the coconut oil in a pan and add the onion and garlic. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 4-5 mins until softened.
5. Add the pepper and aubergine flesh and continue to cook until softened. Add the spinach and allow to wilt before adding the drained cooked lentils. Stir well.
6. Halve the olives and add alongside the sundried tomato paste.
7. Spoon the lentil mixture into the hollowed out aubergine shells and return to the oven for 10-15 mins until nicely roasted.
8. Scatter with basil and serve with ½ bag of mixed leaves and a wedge of lemon per person.